Monday, August 25, 2008

Sometimes I wander...

... whether am I a good mum to my son. Today at around 11am, I put him to his bed for a morning nap and sure enough, he popped up 20 minutes later as usual. I waited for 10 minutes before I went into the room and reassure him that I am indeed still around and put him back to sleep again. But let me tell you, this little boy sure have his own little mind and decided to get up again and started yelling at top of his wee lung. Instead of going back into the room to pick him up from his crib like his daddy usually does (Yep! His daddy sure spoil him!). I decided to try the "cry it out" method once again. (Oh yes, this is not the first time I give it a try. I was just hoping this time it will work like I was told by the pediatrician.)

Oh well... guess what? My wee son was so determined and persistent that he was standing in his crib and crying as loud as he could for about one-and-a-half-hour before he actually passed out. I know, I know, you people might probably think, what kind of mum will do this to her child? I did. Yep! I am not particularly proud of it but I am just like many other mums out there trying to find a way that will work, not to mention hoping to find out a way that will works like MAGIC eventually! Yes, I am indeed needing a miracle formula to put my son to his bed!

He started sleeping through the night in his crib with no problem when we first came back from Scotland. We were thinking to ourself, "Yes! He finally did it!" Oh well...Before we even start celebrating this milestone, our little boy has changed his mind sometime during a couple of weeks ago. He started waking up in the middle of the night (preferably at 3 am!)standing up in his crib crying and refuse to go back to bed. It usually take us more than an hour to put him back to bed with trying different ways to soothe him.

Wee man doesn't like his bed no more...

At first, we thought it was just something that happen occasionally since he is still a baby and he is probably going through the "separation anxiety" phase. But it lasted for more than a few days and it turned into weeks... We were severely sleep-deprived for the past couple weeks. It's not surprising at all that the whole family couldn't functioned properly all this while, and not to mention we all are grumpy, short-tempered and impatience. Let me tell you, it's miserable for all of us! As for me, it's beyond miserable than any words could describe since I am the type of person who needs a good-night-sleep to be able to function during the day.

After suffering from sleep deprivation for weeks, we decided to let him sleep with us in our bed if he wakes up in the middle of the night. Not long ago, I read an article about sleep-problems and it mentioned the "crying out loud" method doesn't work on every baby, it will actually make it worse if you have a strong-minded and persistent child. Oh well... guess what, people? After many times of "crying out loud" with no success, we have no doubt that our little boy is strong-minded and persistent. I am just hoping he will put this personal trait of his into good use in the future. =)

1 comment:

dolphine said...

Your boy is not the only one. Our Max does the same, and is as determined and persistent as Euan.

Many times he got up in the middle of the night and stood at his cot, and cried and wined his lung out.

Well, sometimes I just let him cries till he passed out, but it doesn't all the time.

Last night, it din work, and I had to give him the pacifier and sang to him.